I have been longing to try out something using oats. I have this recipe I got thru my mail which claims it’s a recipe of Famous Amos cookies. Whether it’s true or not, I can’t be sure BUT it has oatmeal in its ingredients. I haven’t tried it out yet. Not so much in a mood to bake cookies. But I just think it might turn out scrumptious because this chocolate oatmeal cake which I tried turned out superb.
This chocolate oatmeal cake from Allrecipes is soft, not dry, just nice. I made few changes in the ingredients. And I only soak half of the oats and topped the cake with chopped walnuts. It tastes great and the best thing is, you know it’s wholesome. Here’s how I made my cake.
Chocolate Oatmeal Cake
1 cup all-purpose flour (I used cake flour)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ cup quick-cooking oatmeal
4 tbsp cocoa powder
1 cup sugar
½ cup boiling water
½ cup milk (I used evaporated milk)
½ cup vegetable oil
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/3 cup chopped walnut
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees C. Grease and lined one 8×8 inch pan.
- Put half of the oats into a large bowl. Pour ½ cup boiling water into the oats and set aside to cool.
- When oats mixture is cooled, add in milk, vege oil, eggs and vanilla essence. Mix well.
- In another bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cocoa. Add in sugar and remaining dry oats.
- Add to wet ingredients and mix well. Spread into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts.
- Bake for 35 – 40 minutes. Remove from oven, allow to cool, and remove from pan.